All submitted contributions will be reviewed by the Yarra Labor News web managers before posting,
All contributions will need to comply with editorial guidelines ( see below).
If you think your contribution has been mistreated, please write to the Editor. If you do not receive satisfaction you can address your concern to the Editorial Board to review.
Some contribution rules
- Understand that you are building an online story of the Yarra community with a strong ALP friend/ally/member/interested observer bent.
- Whilst this site is based in the Yarra Council region, we are all part of the globalised space…
- Be bold, have fun, tell your story, celebrate achievements, analyse fails, think about things.
- Do not treat these pages as a battleground.
- We will publish material/events from other left aligned political parties, but not electoral material.
- Show respect. Do not be careless. Avoid libel and slander.
- Without being prudish, avoid offensive isms (sexism, racism, ageism, classism … etc)
- Assume good faith from all other contributors..
- Don’t be a know-all and avoid shameless self-promotion.
- Do not use false avatars to promote your interests.
- Be concise, do not bang on.
- Use plain English, avoid weasel words and bureaucratese.
- Please use other languages too, but we will need a translation.
- Do not be shamed about poor writing style / grammar etc.
- Follow copyright rules as best you can.
- Note your sources where you can (urls /web addresses and dates are sufficient)
- Use photos with verbal consent (unless groups at public events). Consent is vital when using photos of children.
- We need to know contributors email address of identity, however we will only print your name or avatar with your story if you agree.
- Contact us if you want us to write up a/your story; if you think material is inappropriate; or if you feel your contribution has been poorly treated.
Some editing rules
- Contributions and comments will be scanned before uploading to ensure compliance with the above rules.
- Regular contributors who always supply the good oil will have their material automatically uploaded.
- Minor edits will be made without consultation (for brevity, grammar, typos, clarification, redundancy etc.).
- Contributors will be contacted by the editors if significant changes are proposed.
- Editors will try to edit based on the four cardinal virtues (wisdom, courage, moderation and justice) plus correct use of caps and apostrophes.
- While we are proud ALP members, we value principles, alliances and community development before our party loyalty.
- The editors are happy to work with you to tell your story.
- Pages from our branches and pollies are Facebook feeds and are therefore unedited by YLN.
- Contributions with images or documents attached need to supply copyright details in the contribution form.